Shaking Beef (Bo Luc Lac)
1.5 lbs beef sirloin (or any cut you like) cut into 1″ cubes-I used filet mignon and ribeye
2 tbs minced garlic
1.5 tbs sugar
2 tbs oyster sauce
1 tbs fish sauce
1 tbs sesame oil
1 ts thick soy sauce
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1.5 tbs sugar
1/2 tbs salt
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
Garnish: (Using a nice big platter ..I arrange lettuce or watercress on the platter then arange the cut up tomato and cucumber around the edge of the platter…once the beef is done…I lay the beef in the middle of the platter and then garnish with sliced red onions that was marinated in the vinaigrette)
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 bunches of watercress, long stems trimmed or you can use lettuce
1 large cucumber-thinly sliced
2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
Cooking oil for frying
- Prepare marinade by combining garlic, oyster sauce, sugar, fish sauce, thick soy sauce and sesame oil with the beef for at least half an hour, preferably 1-2 hours.
- Prepare vinaigrette by mixing rice vinegar with salt and sugar. It should be a balance of sour, salty and sweet.
Thinly slice the red onion and use about 3-4 tbs of the vinaigrette to pickle and set aside covered in fridge for about 10 minutes. Prepare bed of watercress or lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes in a serving platter and set aside.
- Heat a large wok or pan over high heat. Add about 2 tbs cooking oil and when it begins to smoke, add an even layer of beef and allow to sear for about 2 minutes, before “shaking” to sear the opposite sides for about another 1-2 minute more to brown all the sides. Do this in batches to cook all the beef if necessary.
- Transfer beef to bed of watercress and tomatoes. Drizzle another 3-4 tbs of vinaigrette over the beef and greens and top with pickled red onions.
- Lastly, squeeze lime juice over salt and pepper in a small ramekin..use as a dipping sauce or prepared fish sauce (like I did)