During lent I usually try to cook more seafood during the week. This is the time that I LOVE TO EXPERIMENT with new recipes or change some of my meat recipe to seafood. My son had to make a pie for school for PI day on March 14. Since my kids love my chicken pot pie but since it was on a Friday…I decided to make a crawfish pie instead. I didn’t use the same ingredients as I did for my chicken pot pie for this recipe. I made 2 crawfish pie that day so I will share one recipe today and another one tomorrow. This one is a little more spicy and savory.
- Pie DIsh
- 1 lb Crawfish tail found in freezer section
- 1 stick Butter
- 2 tablespoon All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Chopped Celery
- 1 cup Chopped Bell Pepper seeded
- ½ cup Chopped Onion
- 1 tabelspoon Minced Garlic
- ½ cup Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Creole Seasoning I used Tony Chachere
- 1 teaspoon Crawfish Liquid Boil optional
- 1 package Pie Crust 2 crust (Pillsbury Ready Made)
- 1 egg for eggwash
- Preheat oven to 375 degree.
- ***Making the eggwash...crack 1 egg and 1 teaspoon water and mix well. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick pan...add the butter. Once the butter has melted add the flour. Now stir the butter and flour. Stir until you get a tan color roux.
- Next, add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until softened. Then add the chicken stock and the CRAWFISH TAIL. Add all the seasoning at this time. ***** optional add the crawfiah boil if you want it spicy. Mix well, then add the heavy cream. STIR then take off heat.
- Place the bottom crust in a deep dish pie plate and bake (using pie weights). Bake for about 7-10 minutes. Take the bottom crust out the oven and FILL with the CRAWFISH MIXTURE and place the top crust on the pie. Brush with the eggwash and taking a little pairing knive and make a few slit in the pie crust. Place the PIE into the oven on the middle rack.
- Bake until crust is GOLDEN BROWN about 45 minutes. Take the pie out the oven and serve.