I have been craving some fried chicken lately but since we are to stay home as much as possible with this virus…I decided to make my own fried chicken. I only had chicken thigh in the refrigerator so I had to make do with what I had. I actually love chicken thigh because its juicy and doesn’t dry up as much as chicken breast. The chicken came out so delicious and CRISPY!! I added extra cayenne pepper because we love our chicken spicy. Next time I am gonna try to do this with just chicken wings. I think it will be AMAZING!!! If you want some homemade fried chicken…you need to give this recipe a try 😉
Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- 8 pieces chicken any piece of your choice
- 1 cups buttermilk
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp MSG
- 3 cup all purpose flour (APF)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 beaten eggs
- Wash each piece of chicken and pat it dry. Then add it to a large bowl with the brine mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least over night...if you can let it marinate for 24 hrs ...it would be even better.
- Take the chicken out the refrigerator and let the chicken sit out in room tempature for at least 30 minutes... next, dump out all the brine and set the chicken pieces to the side. Now, make your BUTTERMILK mixture and your flour mixture. I find that its easy when you set out an assembly line. Taking each piece of chicken and bread it first...then dredge it in the buttermilk mixture and back again in the all purpose flour mixture again. Try to massage the flour mixture into the each piece of chicken.
- Preheat oil in a large dutch oven or deep fryer. Make sure to USE NEW OIL.
- Let the breaded chicken sit for about 2-3 minutes then add the chicken SLOWLY to the hot oil. Cook each piece of chicken for about 10-12 minutes until golden brown or internal temp reads 185°F.
- Let the chicken drain in a rack lined with paper towel.